2015/07/20

Edirne to Düzce (day 3)

The train journey has been very slow, approximately 7 hours delayed which is going to make today a tough ride. Initial aim was to cover about 700km to get past Ankara thus leaving me with a reasonable distance left to cover.

Thinking it was going to be plain sailing as there was what seemed a short delay turned out to be more like 7. Passport control at the Bulgarian border was fairly quick, then the train moved onto to the Turkish border. I guess that this being Turkey it's not that straight forward. This was control one of three. Control one was just for the passport with a 30 or so minute break for tea/coffee and a chance for the passengers to buy some duty free. After all that time they needed some more cigarettes. Did I mention that smoking was allowed on the train?

Arrive at the final station and all documents are collected once again - passport, vehicle registration and insurance certificate. Wait a bit longer and then the train wagons with the cars are moved into position. I was last on so last off. Despite the delay I was in good spirits as a few of the drivers were asking me about my trip and where I'm from.

Finally get onto the wagon to collect the bike and go through the final customs check. There are about 30/40 cars and only one custom's official. It's 35 degrees Celsius and there's no shade. I move the bike as close to the inspection point in the hope that someone had pity on me and let's me bypass the queue. Success, the guy directing people signals for me to go ahead, passport gets stamped again and I'm ready to go.

Next step is to get the motorway prepaid sticker for my trip. The post office seeks them but the first one I stop at tells me to get it on the motorway. Hmmm, not the best start but I proceed to get going and see if I can find this office to buy my sticker. I take the slip road towards Istanbul and then I see the first point where the system charges you and a few of the cars that were on my train. Great, all ready from here except that the building is on the other side of a six lane highway and there's no bridge to cross it, got to walk across. Get to the office only to be told that they can't give me one for a motorbike here but I need to get it in Istanbul.

So onwards to Istanbul it is. I've got 200km of almost empty motorway ahead and it's going well. Then I approach the road around Istanbul and it's utter chaos with the traffic, one close shave with a truck but I make it through. I eventually find another booth to buy my ticket so I don't have to waste any more time later.

As you approach Istanbul you see this expense of high rise buildings and scattered in between these are the mosques. Lots of them. There's not much time to look at the sites as the traffic is moving and the road if full of trucks too. It's hard work on the little Ténéré. I cross the Bosporus bridge, what a structure, blue sea beneath and ships criss crossing underneath it. I catch a glimpse of an old fortress to my right.

I started to relax a bit too much and nearly missed my exit for Ankara! The road hugs the coastline for a while but no time to admire the view. Trucks pull out in front with little warning, traffic from behind zips past above the speed limit. Then everything grinds to a halt - big accident ahead and traffic is backed up. Get past safely and I start to think where I can stop for the night.

I'm not sure how the traffic works here, I think the only way to survive if to have some form of ESP in order to know what is going to happen. I've never had to race with trucks on the motorway and this is what makes any bike trip dangerous. In the event of an accident there's just no chance.

I was aiming for more but thought best to have a good rest and make an early start on the morning. 

Total distance 457km


1 comment:

  1. Glad to see you're well - great to follow here! :)

    All the best and drive safely, cheers,
    Simon

    ReplyDelete