2015/08/13

Kochkar to Bishkek (day 20)

I was at a homestay last night and it was the home of a little old lady. The house was off the main street and has parking. This morning she had prepared pancakes, eggs and even some rice porridge for me.

I filled up just after leaving the house and was going to lake Issyk-Kul but had no idea how far I was going to ride. The lake is big but I thought about getting to a village on the shore and having lunch then continuing to Bishkek to meet Damien so we can cross into Kazakhstan together.
After 20 days on the road I should realise that even though the days might seem boring at the start there's always something that will brighten it for me.

Today was no exception. After the very short ride I reach a small lake and it looks great. I stop to take some photos. I continue on the road to the actual lake. I riding through a village and there are some police, out pops the radar gun and busted. I'm told to stop. It's a 40 zone for short distance. One cop tells me I was doing 50. I protest, I might have been over but not by that amount.

I'm told to go over to the car. Cop in the car tells me I was doing 58. At this point they're just throwing numbers about. I ask to see the evidence. It's 45km/h. OK, so I was over the limit. They have also stopped a car which was at the same petrol station this morning. The guy if from Israel. We have a brief chat.

The cop gets the visa machine out and tells me it's fine time. Now some other cars have been stopped, locals come over, show documents and off they go. Hmm, strange. I ask how much. I don't utter anything in Russian. Then I hear a female voice saying how much in Russian. I look around but can't figure out where this translation service is coming from.

Look at the back seat and there's a woman there, telling my new friend to tell me the price. He writes 2,000 Som. I get my visa card ready. Nope, machine not working, cash only today. I tell them I don't have that amount on me as I'm leaving tomorrow and just have enough for fuel. He'll take 1,000 Som. So for a laugh I ask for a receipt. Israeli guy tells me not to bother! Go back to the bike and the Israeli shakes my hand, telling me that I've saved him some money. He got fined the same 1,000 Som. Some places you pay the tourist tax!

I continue on and then stop as I realise that I won't have enough money to fuel up and eat today. So I have to turn around and head for Bishkek and find a hotel that I can pay by credit card and change since money.

In order to make sure I don't run out of fuel I used the last of my money to fill up with 80 octane, gets me a few more litres but I find that the bike is now cutting out in the heat and heavy traffic in Bishkek.

I find a hotel and to hell with the costs. I have a walk around Bishkek.

Tomorrow is Kazakhstan and no doubt there'll be some fun at the border. There always is!

No comments:

Post a Comment