2015/08/13

Ardabil to Ramsar (day 7)

The day started with the collection of the motorbike at the multistory car park - yes we open at 7am. Arrive just after 7 and not a soul in sight. It's Friday which is the weekend here. Return to the hostel and tell the guy that the place is closed. He calls them for me and now they are open. Typical!
Bike collected and loaded up I ask about the best route out of the city to get to the coast. He suggests that I go north to Astara, right next to the border with Azerbaijan. The road does follow the border as at one point there's a fence with razor wire on top. The road I take winds its way into the mountain and has some nice bends on the way down. There are people selling berries and honey all along the road. Throw in the overloaded trucks for good measure it's a dangerous road to be on.

I was looking forward to a ride next to the Caspian Sea, the map indicated that the road hugs the coast. Not close enough to see anything. I stop for tea and a snack, this of course leads to the usual crowd and usual questions.

Near Langarud a Suzuki GSXR appears, lots of waving and smiles. I pull over and we shake hands and a couple of other bikers stop. Further down the road I stop at a small restaurant and have some grilled meat. There's a bike mechanic next door and he comments on the Ténéré. Then a lot of kids gather around. Photo time.

I decide to look for a place to stay for the evening. It's a seaside resort area so I'm expecting to find a hostel or hotel. I even drive down a road to see if I can camp on the beach but the section I see isn't that appealing. I see a hotel, they want $50 for a suite. No thanks!! Further along the road I stop and ask a man about hotels/hostels nearby. He gestures to come in and see. He was holding a sign which must have been advertising for rooms I guess. I get the room for 60 Tomans. The young guy living upstairs speaks a couple of words of English, he asks if I want to go for a walk and have some entertainment for the evening. I agree. We walk down to the beach on the Caspian Sea, then to a small complex with a café. His brother works there and we get some free drinks. Next it's off to the amusement park and get on some of the rides for free - his friends work there. Cheap night out!

So here I am at a house in Ramsar, the bike parked up with some chickens in the garden. 

Total distance: 344km

No comments:

Post a Comment